Friday, August 20, 2010

Musicians are Peculiar #1

Beethoven wrote five piano concertos, and the one that tops my list of favorites is number four.
I used to dislike the second movement, but it grew on me, and still does.

The following is an interesting introduction to the movement. I chuckled over one person who commented something like, "I really like to listen to Lang Lang, but I have to put a bag over his head first." That makes me wonder -how uncomfortable are we watching up close someone who has complete freedom in expressing his own Transcendental Weirdness? Is he convincing? Or is he a clown? He seems to walk the line between the two!


By the way, when Lang Lang is telling a story when talking about the second movement, he is referring to classic tale of Orpheus and Eurydice, which, if you are a musician, you'll see that it pops up once in a while. (If you avoid myths with gods and goddesses, skip it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment