Sunday, October 24, 2010

Music Education # 5 Learning the Grand Staff with the Hot Note Game

On the floor of my studio I have just installed (with the help of my children) a gigantic grand staff. I suppose it is about 5'x8', and is situated so that the pianist on the bench has the best view of it. The lines are made of shiny blue gift wrap ribbon which contrasts well with the dark hardwood floorboards and are tacked down on either end with masking tape bar lines. The spaces are large enough for feet to step in. I cut out two huge, movable paper clefs on the left side so students can learn how to place them themselves.

Tonight I sat one of my children down on the piano bench while I began stepping all over the lines and spaces, and we suddenly found ourselves playing a funny game that I have to share with you: When you the parent (or teacher) are standing on a line, as long as the student isn't playing that note, everything is fine. But as soon as they find the correct note, pretend your line instantly heats up and you say "Ooh- HOT! Ow! Ow!" and jump to another note on the staff. Then you can say, "Ahhh, that's better!" but then the little one on the bench is busy trying to find the next right note as fast as possible on the piano to make you jump again! Two feet at once is for intervals of a second, a third, etc.

I am curious to know how this will work with my beginners. Maybe there will be a way to incorporate the composer figurines in this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment