Thursday, March 10, 2011

Favorite Music #2

I don't know if this should actually go under the heading of Favorite Music: This is the Scariest Piece I have ever heard: Right Here. Prokofiev's Toccata Op. 11, played by Vladimir Horowitz. (Also Martha Argerich, I believe, but Horowitz really does it for me.) Prokofiev liked Horowitz's rendition. Prokofiev is one of those rare composers whose music actually has made me cry. I don't really like or expect to be affected that much, and I admire the work of someone whose music can elicit such a strong reaction.

Here is another take on it. Silly Dog Plays Toccata... (OK, that's Just For Fun!) To me the piece sounds like a Black Hawk Helicopter coming over the horizon to serve up some destruction, not a hyper cocker spaniel in a tuxedo pawing at a keyboard- but maybe that's what makes it so funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment